It’s #SoupSeason and that means it’s time to explore hot soups from different cuisines. This time around I’m introducing you to my favorite dish pozole! This yummy Mexican soup traditionally is served around the holidays. It usually has a red color and made with pork. However, today I’m serving it white and with chicken. This soup has a variety of ways it can be served and garnished. Warning: this soup will be a little spicy.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 45 mins
Total time: 1 hour
Servings: 2-6 people
¼ cup of vegetable oil
1 large white onion
5 cloves of garlic
2 dried arbol chile peppers
8 dried piquin peppers
2lbs of Chicken Breast
6 cups of Chicken Broth
2 tbs dried oregano
5 bay leaves
1 tbs salt
1 tbs cumin
1 28 oz can white hominy (drained and rinsed)
1 cup of warm water
Red Crushed Pepper
- Let your dried piquin and arbol chile peppers sit in 1 cup of warm water for about 5 mins
- In a large stew pot, add your vegetable oil and turn your heat to medium.
- Transfer your cup of warm water and peppers to a food processor and add 5 garlic cloves and ½ whole onion. You’ll use the rest of the onion to garnish your soup.
- Blend till it’s pureed, then transfer to your stew pot.
- Allow it to fragrance and stir gently, before adding your chicken broth.
- Add your broth to the pot.
- Add your salt, dried oregano, bay leaves, and cumin to the pot and stir.
- Turn the heat to a medium high and bring to a light boil.
- Add your chicken to the stew broth, and turn down the heat to medium-low
- Let it sit for about 25-30 mins, till the chicken is fully cooked.
- Drain and rinse the hominy while you are waiting for the chicken to cook.
- Once the chicken is fully cooked, grab a pair of tongs and transfer the chicken to a large mixing bowl. Using the tongs and a fork begin to shred your chicken.
- Add your hominy to the pot and turn the heat down to simmer.
- Once you have fully shredded your chicken, add it back to the pot and turn your heat of off. Allow it to sit for about 5-10 mins before serving.
- Begin to prep your garnishes. Shred ¼ of cabbage, rest of the onion and cut a lime into wedges.
- Add the pozole to a small bowl and add the garnishes of your liking.